Transfer Credit

Transfer Credit Policy

The Department of Chemistry grants transfer credit for chemistry courses taken during the summer or during study abroad programs according to the rules and procedures established in the Rice University General Announcements and as administered by the Office of the Registrar.

In order to satisfy the Department's ruling on transfer credit, the course must typically be taken at a four-year college or university that offers a degree in chemistry certified by the American Chemical Society (information regarding certified programs is available on the ACS website). The course should be one that counts toward the chemistry degree at that school. Prior to registration, students should obtain pre-approval using the Undergraduate Request for Transfer Credit, which is available from the Office of the Registrar.

Transfer credit for courses at the 300 level or above are generally not permitted. Exceptions may be granted to students transferring to Rice from another institution or coursework carried out during an approved year abroad.

Courses for transfer credit after matriculation for General Chemistry (CHEM 121 and/or CHEM 122) and the laboratory (CHEM 123 and/or CHEM 124) must contain a laboratory component or must involve co-enrollment in associated lecture and laboratory courses. Any student who has taken CHEM 121 and/or CHEM 122 at an alternate institution must receive instructor approval to take the lab credit on the Rice campus.

NOTE: We are not accepting transfer credit for laboratories that are conducted remotely or virtually regardless of where the course is taken.

Students should follow these steps to obtain transfer credit approval:

  1. Complete an Undergraduate Request for Transfer Credit form, which is available from the Office of the Registrar.
  2. Write a cover letter describing why you wish to obtain transfer credit. Describe the start and end dates, as well as the meeting times of the course during the term. This letter should include your contact information (campus or local address, phone number, email address).
  3. Obtain course syllabus and copies of materials from the college or university showing the course number, course description and enough information to indicate that the course to be taken is the equivalent that chemistry majors take at Rice.
  4. Send all documents above to Anita Walker, Chemistry Courses Administrator, via email to Questions, concerning transfer credit should be directed to Anita Walker at 713-348-4027 or

The signed form will be delivered to you via email so that you may submit the form to the Registrar. Please allow one week for processing of the transfer credit request.