Undergraduate Student Awards
Undergraduate students have several opportunities to win awards and summer fellowships from the Department of Chemistry.
- Dr. W.E. Billups Fellowship
- Dr. Paul S. Engel Fellowship
- George Holmes Richter Memorial Fellowship
- Zevi & Bertha Salsburg Memorial Fellowship in Chemistry
- Arthur L. Draper Award
View the most recent student award winners.
Distinction in Research and Creative Work
The Distinction in Research and Creative Work is a University award for select undergraduates, granted at commencement, which appears on the transcript and diploma. More specifically, in the Department of Chemistry, this award recognizes Rice B.S. chemists whose research discoveries will form a substantial component of an important publication. The submission and review processes are often not fast enough for researchers to see their work in print before graduation. A pre-publication formal description of the research (e.g., a submission-ready manuscript or a CHEM 492/3 Honors Thesis or the equivalent) with a detailed accounting of the nominee’s contribution and those of other authors is sufficient. Applicants must also be in good academic standing and have a cumulative GPA of at least 3.30 in courses completed at Rice.
Required Application Materials:
- Declaration of intention to apply for this distinction.
- Documentation of research achievement in the form of published papers, theses, pre-publication manuscripts, electronic files of presentations (PowerPoint or poster) given off-campus.
- A supporting letter from the research advisor which should detail the student’s research accomplishments and intellectual contributions.
Optional, but encouraged: Applications are encouraged to include a short letter of support from your research advisor.
Deadline for Final Submission of Materials: Last day of classes of semester before graduation
Please send all application materials to Nancy Adler, Academic Program Administrator.