Undergraduate Transfer Credit
Please submit a description of the course with the completed Request for Credit Transfer form. Course descriptions can typically be found in the handbook or catalog of the university offering the course.
Departmental Policy on Transfer Credit
The Department of Chemistry accepts transfer credit for chemistry courses according to the rules and procedures established in the Rice University General Announcements and as administered by the Registrar's office.
In order to satisfy the Department's ruling on transfer credit, the course must be taken at a 4-year college or university which offers a major in chemistry. The course taken must be the one taken by chemistry majors at that college or university. The Department makes no exceptions to this rule.
Students should obtain approval for any courses that are to be taken for transfer credit prior to registration. The preapproval form is available in the Registrar's Office.
Students who plan to take and transfer a course after matriculation for credit for General Chemistry (Chem 121 and/or Chem 122) and the laboratory (Chem 123 and/or Chem 124) must take a course which contains a laboratory component or must take an associated laboratory course along with a lecture course.
Students should follow the following steps for obtaining transfer credit approval:
- The preapproval form should be obtained from the Registrar's Office and filled out completely.
- A cover letter should accompany the approval form indicating why you wish to obtain transfer credit. This letter should include complete contact information (campus or local address, phone number, email address).
- The student should obtain a catalogue or a copy of the web page materials from the college or university where they intend to take the course showing the course number, course description and enough information to indicate that the course to be taken is the course that chemistry majors take. If a catalogue is provided, the pages where the information is located should be clearly marked. If web page material is used, hardcopy as well as the URL for the website should be provided.
- All of this information should be delivered to the Undergraduate & Classroom Coordinator, located in Dell Butcher Hall, room 243.
- Questions concerning transfer credit should be directed to the Undergraduate & Classroom Coordinator at 713.348.4027
- Please allow one week for processing of the transfer credit request.
- You may elect either to pick up the processed forms or to have it returned via campus mail.
If these guidelines are not followed, the transfer credit approval form will be returned unprocessed.